Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Brigade 2 website launched with source code + new videos and exe's

Great news today: the website for the Brigade 2 path tracer has been launched and includes the source code so anyone can make their own real-time path traced game. The path tracing kernels are still closed source and precompiled in a library.

The website can be found here: http://brigade.roenyroeny.com/

I have also developed two small demos showing real-time path traced interior scenes with animation. The first one is a simple study room like scene, in which the ceiling and back walls are removed to let more light enter the scene (there is a problem with the normals from the chair):
 

The second one is a more complex bedroom scene (180k triangles). The scene is a free 3ds max model from http://www.3dmodelfree.com, which was tweaked a little bit (I took out the ceiling, two walls and the curtains). The scene came without textures, so I had to set every material manually in the mtl file. Some screens:
Diffuse(.1,.1,.1) and spec(.9) for bedframe and closet:

Two videos showing real-time material tweaking and animation with physics:


The executable demo can be downloaded at  
(all CUDA architectures supported)

Expect many more demos made with the Brigade 2 path tracer in the coming weeks and months. Brigade is also going to be ported to OpenCL soon. 2012 is going to be a breakthrough year for real-time GPGPU path tracing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something is really odd about the shading of the materials, let's see what it looks like with Lambertian Matte Material.

Ray Tracey said...

True, it's a problem with normals, which is most apparent on glossy surfaces.
Somewhere along the export/import process of obj models from Max to Maya/Blender and into Brigade, the normals get screwed up. I will have to take a closer look at this. I think I am not loading the models in Brigade correctly. Should be easy to solve.

Ray Tracey said...

I found out what the problem was: turning off "smooth groups" in 3dsmax when exporting the obj solved the normals issue. The shading looks right now.